Alexanderstraße 331, 26127 Oldenburg +49 (0)441-5707892

100 first questions – Work

  • Probezeit (Trial period)

When you have an employment contract, this usually involves a period of three or six months, which is valid as a probationary period and in which you can cancel or terminate daily (without giving reasons). During this time, you will see whether the work you like and your employer will see if you are suitable for this position. After expiration of the probationary period, the contract simply continues if both parties agree, or is terminated if one of the parties so wishes.

  • Kündigungsfrist (Notice period)

The term of notice is one month (unless otherwise specified in the employment agreement) which you and your employer must comply with before the joint employment contract can be terminated. If you wish to terminate your employment, please notify your employer in writing. After the period of notice, the employment relationship will be terminated automatically.

  • Wöchentliche Arbeitszeit (Weekly work time)

Pay attention to the weekly working hours in your employment contract. You must at least provide this working time, for which you receive your Wage/salary. If you work more than this agreed time, talk with your employer about how these overtime hours will be remunerated.

  • Gehalt ( Wage/salary)

In your employment contract, you will also find information on the Wage/salary you get for your work. From this amount, taxes and social insurance contributions will be deducted automatically, the rest will be paid out.

  • Befristung des Vertrages (Termination of the contract)

In your employment contract, you will also find the date by which the contract with your employer should be completed. Until this date you are employed by your employer, after which the contract ends. Make sure to register as a jobseeker with the employment agency at least three months before the contract expires.

If such date is not in your contract, the contract is permanent and will continue until you or your employer terminate it.

  • Mini-job: If your remuneration does not exceed 450 euros per month, your employment is limited to three months or 70 days per year, and here too the remuneration does not exceed 450 euros per month, and you do not secure your livelihood through the employment (no occupational regularity), you have a mini-job. In such a marginal job, you are insured against accidents at work and occupational diseases, but you do not have insurance protection in the statutory health, long-term care and unemployment insurance. With a mini-job, you are in principle liable for pension insurance and pay pension contributions amounting to 3.6% of the salary. However, you can apply for exemption from compulsory pension insurance. Even in a mini-job, you are entitled to the statutory minimum wage as well as continued payment of wages in the event of illness and absence from work on public holidays.
Category: Work


back to Main Menu